Tuesday, February 23, 2010

2 miles for Reese.


Interesting side note of getting in shape: having more confidence that your body can do things they've never done before.

Case in point: sledding.

I'm a city child. I have seen snow fall maybe twice in my life and the second time was this past weekend in Lake Tahoe. We were up for the weekend with good friends in a cabin nicer than our house having a wonderful time. I didn't ski, as lessons for growups didn't really figure into our timing, but I did sled and inner tube with both my kidlets. And embarrassingly, I admit that there was a time, oh, maybe six or seven weeks ago where I would have handed off "outside" activities, activities that required movement and climbing up hills and then flying down them, to Dad, the VP of outdoor fun at our house.

But this past weekend, I didn't hand off the joy of flying down the hill, with Finn in my lap, my generous bottom wedged into what amounted to a giant donut, as we sailed down the hill. It was so quiet, I could hear us both breathing, cheek to cheek, and then maybe holding our breath over a bump and then letting out a scream at the end as we hit the bottom and careened smoothly off the side.

"Again! Again!" Finn would say. And so we would.

With Reese, it was sledding and we went down side by side. She wanted to hold hands the whole way. This is us climbing up together on the way to a second time down.

I had no idea my fixation on my thighs would end up bringing me so much closer to my children.

Today's two miles was for my girl. Thanks baby.

1 comment:

  1. "Interesting side note of getting in shape: having more confidence that your body can do things they've never done before."

    Well put, Geri, and I had yet to put that together before reading it here.

    We have a long driveway, perfect for bike-riding and impromptu soccer games. I am not athletic. And I'm a tad lazy. But the other day, in the middle of our fine spring day, I went out there in my flip-flops and attempted to play soccer. Who knew?

    :)

    ReplyDelete